Thursday, February 11, 2016

2/11/16 blog by Isabel

Today was our last full day with our homestay families and the Shintoku students. Our day started off with a city tour of Nichinan. The people we met at the Obi castle were very welcoming and even guided us throughout the tour and helped us take pictures. I have never seen such hospitality in a historical place  before. 
After the tour we went back to Shintoku high school. We had cooking class and made traditional Japanese food. While I was helping out my group my host mother came out of no where and gave me a pot full of zenzai (red bean soup) to share with everyone in the class. I was totally not expecting this at all. I was very surprised she made zenzai. She wasn't supposed To make the zenzai but she did because she wanted to which I think is so considerate of her. Later during the day, we finally met the principal of Shintoku high school. At first I was expecting a serious meeting with him but my expectations were wrong. We had a friendly small chat about our stay in Miyazaki and our own lives. He was a friendly and welcoming person which I hope to meet him again in the future. 
As the afternoon came to end we had to leave Shintoku High School and go with our homestay families. I was very upset when I took my last glance at the school. I had made so many friends and memories there. Two days wasn't enough for me. I knew I was also going to have an amazing time went we get to Hiroshima, but I wanted to stay a bit longer at Shintoku. If CGS continues to include Shintoku as the Hiroshima study tour, I think it's best to let the students stay a bit longer at Shintoku. 
For the rest of my day, I spent the whole time with my homestay family. We went to eat hamazushi (conveyer sushi), take purikura photos, and even went to the onsen (hot spring bath). At first I was bit nervous to go to the onsen with my homestay, Junna. I have been to an onsen two times already but I have never been to an onsen with my homestay. I have only went with my classmates. At first it was a bit weird being naked and showering in the same room as my homestay but as went to relax in the hot water, I didn't even care or notice we were both naked. I found out that the onsen was a good bonding experience for both of us. We both were relaxed and having a great time together with made us closer together. I recommend people who love onsen, to try it out with your homestay!
My overall impression of my day was that Miyazaki is a wonderful place with welcoming considering people who I which to meet again. It hard to imagine the population rate had dropped significantly throughout the years. I'm very grateful to have experience the countryside of Japan. The people here are so much nicer that than the city.The hospitality here is one of the best I've seen. Everyone you meet here will definitely welcome and talk to you as if you are not a stranger. I had such a nice time here in Miyazaki, I definitely plan to come back here in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment