Saturday, February 13, 2016

2/12/16 blog by Karina

This morning was a bit hectic with trying to make sure I didnt forget anything and finish getting ready to leave on time. I spent most of the time silent with my thoughts, not really wanting to leave, as I was just getting attached to my family. 

But when we got to the train station we were sent off with souvenirs, a banner saying "We look forward to seeing you again" and the vice principal of the school saying "いってらっしゃい (itterasshai)". It shocked me when I later realized what he said. When someone says "Itterasshai" that means that they are expecting you to return. So for the vice principal to say that to us after only staying for two days and only meeting a part of the student body, means that we left a really good impression on them and that they want us to come back. I truly hope that we will form and maintain a strong connection with Shintoku high school.

When I finally met my host family at Nagisa, I was nervous because it was a new environment and new people. I was shown to my room and taught the rules of the household and how things work. They told me they didn't have wifi and let me send an email to my mom. After that we ate a very delicious homemade gratin for dinner. My host dad went out for a bit and came back in time for us to eat dessert together as a family. The reason he went out was to get a router for wifi so I could get in contact with my mom. I was so blown away by how quickly they were to accommodate me. I immediately expressed my gratitude and then felt like this was a good time to give them their presents. They were all really happy with what they got, especially my host brother who started playing with the mini soccer ball I got him. Then I played on the wii with my host sister and her siblings until it was time to say goodnight. As I went to sleep, I knew I was going to have fun with my new host family.

No comments:

Post a Comment